DO SOMETHING MEANINGFUL THIS SUMMER
The Lighthouse is looking for High School and College students with a heart for GOD, a heart for JUSTICE, and a heart for the CITY to make a Kingdom difference this summer.
The Summer Enrichment Camp is a strategic initiative launched by Lighthouse Ministries to
- combat the summertime loss of learning retention experienced by many of the children in our neighborhood;
- provide a safe and stimulating environment for children with working parents to be during the day;
- maintain the relationships established with families during the school year over the summer months.
Additionally, just over 95 percent of the families living in the Lighthouse neighborhood are considered economically disadvantaged with more than 40 percent of the families living below the poverty line. This along with a significant lack of community resources makes it difficult for families to find inexpensive ways to help their child stay cognitively engaged over the summer months.
The Lighthouse wants to do something about that!
Will you join our Summer Enrichment Camp staff as an intern and make a difference in the lives of children? It will make a difference in your life too! You can find the online application here. Preview the app questions here.
The Lighthouse Ministries Summer Enrichment Camp offers two internship opportunities.
Educational Ministry Internships - This is for individuals at least one year out of high school. You along with fellow EMI's will oversee one of our grade-level classes of up to 12 students and the High School Interns that work with them. You will arrive each day at 8 a.m. and remain until your EMI staff mtg ends at 3:30 p.m.
- High School Internships - This is for current high school students at least 14 years of age. Your placement will be to work alongside the same two elementary students for the entire summer camp. Your job will be to build a positive relationship with your students and help to keep them on task, make good choices, and have a lot of fun! You will arrive each morning at 8:30 a.m. and leave at 3 p.m.
The camp will run four days each week Monday through Thursday with Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays running on the same schedule. Thursdays will be special activity days with an event at the school or a field trip. The standard schedule will look similar to the one below.
- 8 a.m. Educational Ministry Interns meet with the Camp Director to prep for the day
- 8:30 a.m. High School Interns arrive and meet with the Educational Ministry Interns to prep for the day
- 9 a.m. Students arrive and eat breakfast
- 9:15 a.m. Exercise
- 10 a.m. Interactive Educational Experiences
- 12 p.m. Lunch
- 12:30 p.m. Recreation
- 1 p.m. Art
- 2 p.m. Worship
- 2:15 p.m. Bible
- 3 p.m. Students and High School Interns head home
- 3:30 p.m. Educational Ministry Interns head home
Partnership with camp luz
All camp staff and students will spend one week at Camp Luz!
For our campers aged 7-8 they along with their staff will attend Mini-Camp June 27-30
For our campers aged 9-11. There are two weeks of Boys & Girls Camp this year. Either June 20-24 or July 11-15. For your week at Luz you will be an Assistant Counselor working with a Lead Counselor in charge of a cabin of 10 children. Camp Luz is just 25 minutes west of Canton just off of Rt 30.
The Summer Enrichment Camp Internships are in all reality short-term mission assignments. The Lighthouse or the school could not afford to run a camp of this magnitude without help. The sponsorships you raise not only pay your stipends but fund the entire summer camp! We have tried to structure the support in a way that makes the fundraising as easy as possible.
- High School Interns will need to raise $1,650 (one approach would be to find 11 people willing to sponsor you at $25 per month for six months)
- Educational Ministry Interns will need to raise $2,400 (again, you could find 16 people to sponsor you at $25 per month for 6 months).
The Lighthouse will set up an online account allowing people to go to our website and sponsor you electronically. For example, your uncle/aunt/family friend would go to the donations page on our website, look for your name, and sign up for a 6-month recurring donation of $25/month to be made to the Lighthouse and paid from their credit card or their bank account.
People sponsoring you may also send a check in the mail to the Lighthouse designating whom they are supporting. This is for one-time gifts only! Monthly support needs to be set up through our website.
All of your sponsorships must be pledged and started by June 1 for your internship to be activated. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for more info.
You will receive a weekly stipend as a staff member. The money you raise covers all expenses for the summer camp including your stipends. Stipends are based upon your position and years of experience working at our camp.
High School Intern stipend structure
- 1st-year Interns earn $120 per week
- 2nd-year Interns earn $150 per week
- 3rd-year Interns earn $170 per week
Educational Ministry Interns (College age) stipend structure
- 1st-year Interns earn $200 per week
- 2nd-year Interns earn $250 per week
- 3rd-year Interns earn $280 per week
All staff are able to earn as much as an additional $1,000 for the summer if they raise sponsorship money beyond the base requirements. This will be paid at the end of the summer in one lump sum. For example: If you raise $800 beyond your base requirement you will get a check for $800 (minus taxes) from us in August.
Also remember, your job with us is only Monday through Thursday and is over by 3 or 3:30 p.m. each day. This allows you to still work evenings and weekends if needed. Though the Summer Enrichment Camp must remain your priority in scheduling.
- Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Fill out the online application as soon as possible. The application must be filled out in one sitting so it may be helpful to view the questions and write out your responses ahead of time. You can find all of the questions here.
- Interviews will be scheduled as we receive applications, so the sooner you get your application in the better your chances for a position!
- Internship decisions are made soon after your interview.
- Sponsorships need to be activated by June 7. This means that your sponsors must have started their giving by June 7. The following are the only ways to sponsor:
- Sponsors will be able to choose an account designated for your support.
- Set up a recurring gift of $25/month for 6 months using their credit card or EFT from their bank account.
- Make a one-time gift via our website for $150 by June 1.
- Sponsors may also choose to make a one time gift by sending a check for $150 to Lighthouse Ministries by June 7. We will not be accepting monthly giving by mail for the internships.
- Internships begin June 7.